Monday, December 29, 2014

Funny Guy

Aug. 12, 2014


I've been thinking hard about this Robin Williams thing, about living two lives - always being the "funny guy," the entertainer, but holding onto an abyss of sorrow and fear and unresolved pain you don't let anyone see. As some of you know, I started getting counseling two years ago. At the time, I didn't have health insurance and I paid for those sessions in cash, because I was days away from where Robin Williams is now. I didn't think I could afford it, especially for more than a couple of quick sessions. Turns out what is spent on booze, food, cocaine, weed, sex, shopping  whatever it takes to suppress the emotions that are natural for all of us - costs a lot more than the therapy did. Don't get me wrong, I have not yet reached a state of perpetual bliss, but life is substantially more savory for me. I fear less and I feel more. WE ALL DESERVE TO FEEL BETTER. Life is not hopeless. This tragedy really can be a message to us all that all humans struggle, no matter how talented, smart and funny they are., and success is not measured by the $ or the awards but how you feel. And if you are hurting, remember the hurt is not you, it is something you can get rid of. And what remains beyond the hurting, the real you, is more gloriously than you can yet imagine. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment